Ardha Shalabhasana (Half Locust Pose)
Shalabh means locust. In the final posture of this asana, the body looks like a locust, hence it is known by Ardha Shalabhasana. It is also called Half Locust Pose Yoga. This is a beneficial asana for back and back pain. With its regular practice, you’ll control back pain to an excellent extent.
Steps of Ardha Shalabhasana
- First of all, you will lie down on your stomach.
- Keep the feet close and make fists of the hands and keep them under the thigh.
- Now inhale and lift the right leg.
- Bring it back slowly.
- Similarly, do it with the left leg.
- Repeat like this 5 to 5 times.
- This asana is also counted among the asanas performed while lying on the stomach.
- Lie down on your stomach, first of all, keep the chin on the ground.
- Then press both the hands under the thighs.
- Then inhale and lift one leg.
- Press the thighs with the palms of the hands to raise the legs further.
- To come back, slowly bring the foot to the ground.
- Then take the hands out from under the thighs and lie down in the position of Makarasana.
- Keep in mind that while taking the leg up, keep it straight from the knee.
The leg should not bend from the knee. Keep the chin on the ground. Stay during this position for 10 to 30 seconds. Those who have any serious problem in the spine, legs or thighs, should do this asana only after consulting a yoga practitioner.
- This asana should not be done in case of high blood pressure.
- A person suffering from heart disease should avoid the practice of this asana.
- Asthma patients should not do this asana.
- Back pain: Do not practice this in excessive back pain.
- Do not hold it for long in the initial phase.
- Don’t practice it in case of a hernia.
- Do not do this in the problem of the spinal cord.
- Avoid doing this if you have an abdominal operation.
Benefits of Ardha Shalabhasana
Although there are many benefits of Ardha Shalabhasana (Half Locust Pose), here some of its important benefits are being told-
- Back Pain: this is often one of the simplest yoga exercises for back pain. With its regular practice, you’ll get obviate chronic back pain.
- Helpful in asthma: By practicing this asana, you can control asthma disease.
- Nervous system: It strengthens the nervous system and increases its activation.
- Abdominal Massage: It strengthens the digestive system by massaging the abdomen.
- To relieve constipation: This is a beneficial yoga to get rid of constipation.
- Purifies the blood: It purifies the blood and improves its circulation.
- Flexibility: Increases the pliability of the body and keeps you far away from tons of troubles.
- Sciatica: This asana plays a crucial role in curing sciatica.
- Reducing weight: It reduces the extra fat of the abdomen and waist, thus helpful in reducing weight.
- Diabetes: It controls the pancreas and is helpful in the management of diabetes.
- Uterus: With its practice, you can reduce the problems related to the uterus.
- Stomach gas: Stomach gas is often reduced by its practice.
- Manipura Chakra: There is effective yoga for the Manipura Chakra.
- Navel: It keeps the navel in the right place.