Corpse meaning (Shavasana)
Shavasana is a combination of two words, one corpse, and the other asana. In this asana, an attempt is made to keep the whole body calm by staying in the posture of the dead body. In this asana, sort of a body, an effort is formed to free the mind and mind from all types of thoughts. It is often performed as a ‘resting pose’ after complex yoga exercises to calm the mind and relax the body. How this yoga asana can bring physical and mental benefits, you will know further in the article. REF
How to do Savasana Yoga Mudra
To take advantage of Shavasana, it is important to know how to do Shavasana yoga, which is mentioned below –
- First of all, after finding a clean and quiet place, lay a yoga mat there.
- Now lie down on this mat on your back and close your eyes.
- Now keep both the palms at a distance of about one foot from the body and keep the palms facing upwards.
- With this, keep the feet at a distance of about two feet from each other.
- When you come to the posture of Shavasana, take slow breaths and try to focus all attention on the breath.
- Repeat this process for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After the whole process is done, turn to the right and stay in that position for a minute.
- After that get-up and sit. Keeping your eyes closed, rub both your palms together and then place them on your face and feel the warmth of the palms.
- Finally, slowly open your eyes.
Do not do any asanas after doing Shavasana. This should be the end of your every yoga practice.
Savasana tips for beginners
For those who have just started doing Shavasana and are not able to keep their thighs completely on the ground while lying down, then some weight like three or four pillows can be placed on them. This will make it easier to rest the thighs.
In a yoga school, you can practice Shavasana for 1 or 2 minutes. If you can spare time, then the practice of Shavasana should be done regularly for 20 to 30 minutes. Especially after getting tired or before going to sleep.
Relax the body
When the body gets tired by doing different types of yoga asanas and breathing starts fast, then it can be relaxed with the help of Shavasana. Due to the benefits of doing Shavasana, it is also called the resting pose. There is no research available on its working, but it can be said that when deep breathing is done lying down, followed by various stretching yoga asanas, the body can be relaxed.
Bring into meditation
Shavasana is considered an effective yoga pose to bring the body into a meditative posture and this has been proven by the National Center of Biotechnology Information (NCBI). According to this research, when lying in a posture without moving the body and calming the mind, the body can be easily transported to a meditative posture. REF
Improve concentration and memory
Regular practice of Shavasana can prove to be effective in improving concentration and memory. In fact, in research related to this, some yoga asanas were done to medical students for a few days, in which Shavasana was also included. After the practice of these yoga asanas, along with concentration, improvement in memory power was also observed in the students. On this basis, it can be said that Shavasana can prove to be useful for improving concentration and memory. REF
Relief from anxiety and high blood pressure
Shavasana can also prove beneficial for getting relief from anxiety. As we mentioned above, in this asana, an attempt is made to keep the body and mind calm, which can also be beneficial in overcoming situations like anxiety. Therefore, it can also be included in yoga asanas to relieve anxiety. Shavasana has not one but many benefits. It is said that it can be beneficial in controlling blood pressure. For this reason, it can also be practiced to get relief from the problem of high blood pressure. REF
Increase energy level
It is very common that after being tired when lying down for some time, the body automatically returns to its normal position. Therefore, if Shavasana is performed after prolonged physical activities, the mind and body can be relaxed and can help in normalizing the energy level in the body. For now, further research is needed on this topic.
Precautions for Shavasana Yoga
It is important to take care of some precautions while doing Shavasana yoga –
- People suffering from back pain or spinal disc should do this asana only after consulting a doctor.
- Be sure to consult your doctor before doing yoga during pregnancy.
- While doing Shavasana, along with focusing on the breath, it is also important to keep in mind that sleep does not come.
- Always do this yoga asana in a quiet place.
Through this article, you must have understood well how Savasana can bring physical and mental benefits. At the same time, to get these benefits, it is also necessary to know the way of doing Shavasana. Therefore, to get the benefits of Shavasana, understand the information given in the article thoroughly and start practicing Shavasana. Hope this article proves helpful in keeping you healthy. If you want, you can also share this article with others.